26 March 2013

A Few Simple Recipes

I'm back at work today but still feeling pretty miserable. So instead of going back to the gym at lunch, I thought I'd share a few quick, simple recipes.

Super Salsa!
  • about 6 vine-ripe tomatoes (or 8 romas)
  • 1 large red onion
  • 2 jalapenos (or 1 jalapeno and 1 habanero), seeded and de-veined
  • a bunch of cilantro
  • juice of 1 lime
The simplest way to make this is to cut everything into chunks and then throw it into a chopper/blender, squeeze the lime juice over it, and blend to desired consistency. I have a Ninja and just love it! I use it at least 3-4 times per week. Sometimes I also add diced celery and/or radishes to the salsa - Yummy!

Super Salad!
  • 3 romaine hearts, chopped
  • 8 oz diced tomatoes
  • 8 oz diced onions
  • 8 oz diced celery
Combine all ingredients and store in a gallon-sized ziplock for up to a week. I top my salads with either pistachio nuts or sesame sticks. And Tahini Lime Sauce (see below).

Yeah. I know you didn't really need a recipe for salad, but I always make this right after the salsa. And cut me a break- I don't feel good ;) 

Tahini Lime Sauce/Dressing (adapted from Mama Pea)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup tahini
  • 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup lime juice
  • 1 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 Tbsp agave nectar
Combine all ingredients and store in air-tight container in fridge for up to a week. This stuff makes the best salad dressing, but can also be used as a veggie topper, pasta sauce, etc...

Serving size is 2 Tbsp: Calories 70, Fat 5g, Carbs 4g (Fiber 1, Sugar 0.1), Protein 2g

What are your favorite simple and quick recipes?

Gotta run, Laura

No comments: